Tuesday, October 16, 2018

On the Workbench [October] - Titanicus

Titanicus WIP Reaver and Knights

With my DreadTober project going well and way ahead of schedule, I took some time out for a pet project that has captured my imagination...Titans for the new boxed game Titanicus!  I picked up a warlord, a Reaver, and a box of knights to start.  I plan to fill out a maniple with 1 Warlord, 2 Reavers, and 2 Warhounds to start, accompanied by a banner or two of Knights.  My maniple will be part of Legio Tempestus, and the knights will be heresy era House Taranis knights.

These are very detailed kits and pretty straight forward to assemble, with a few fiddly bits caused mostly by my big ol' fingers. :) I magnetized the Reaver weapons, and chose to go without the claw arm on the first Reaver. I'm thinking that the second will sport one arm weapon, and the claw for fun.

Titanicus WIP Reaver Titan Legs
 

I posed this first Reaver advancing over uneven terrain with the left leg raised.  The cork in this picture is just a place holder so I could get the pose right.  The legs are quite posable.

Titanicus WIP Reaver Titan Carapace Magnets

The carapace is molded with socket for a magnet, as is the carapace missile launcher. This made the first bit of magnetizing quite simple.

Titanicus WIP Reaver Titan Missile Launcher Magnets

The arms requiring some drilling.  And then some filling with Green stuff in order to support the magnet.

Titanicus WIP Reaver Titan Weapon Magnets

I used .25" magnets (roughly) and a .25" drill bit to carefully bore into the arm weapons. To make things easier and provide a secure socket, I then pushed greenstuff into the hole to fill the inside of the weapons and accept the magnets.  I pressed the magnets into the greesntuff enough to provide a slightly recessed socket. Then I simply glued the opposite magnets to the arms.  The weapons easily click into place now.

Titanicus WIP Reaver Titan Arm Magnets

Here is a shot of the assembled model.  The waist is held together with poster-tac at this point.  It could be easily magnetized, but I'm planning to simply glue mine down once I get the painting done.  The model is small enough to store without having to separate at the waist.

Titanicus WIP Reaver Titan

I then put some work into the base and glued the legs down.

Titanicus WIP Reaver Titan Base

Next I assembled a box of knights.

Titanicus WIP Imperial Knights

Here are close ups of each model.

Titanicus WIP Imperial Knight Warden
Knight Warden
 The Knight Warden gets a meltagun to give it a little close range punch.

Titanicus WIP Imperial Knight Paladin
Knight Paladin
 The Paladin is built stock with a heavy-stubber.

Titanicus WIP Imperial Knight Errant
Knight Errant
The Knight Errant is built stock as well.  I'm not planning to geek out on Titanicus and will likely play very few games.  You could buy several kits of the knights and got to town with the weapon options, magnetizing things and what not.  As a final step I put down some Vallejo Black Lava on the bases so they'd match the Reaver base.  I chose not to raise them on cork.

Titanicus WIP Imperial Knight bases

The knights then got mounted to Bourbon corks for painting and were sprayed with an undercoat of Vallejo Surface Primer Black.

Titanicus WIP Imperial Knights

And that is as far as I could get for now with this project before turning my attention once again to DreadTober. I'm excited to paint up some titans!  They are not of the grand scale of 40K, yet they will still be a pleasure to paint up and display.  With all luck, they will even take part in a battle or two before long.  I will be picking up a box of Warhounds this week, and probably the second box of knights.  Then I just need the final Reaver for the initial project.  This will be a fun side project to provide some variety to my ongoing 40K projects.

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

2 comments:

  1. Reaver looks like a great kit. The black lava looks interesting too, must check it out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the latest technical paints out, the Black Lava is no longer novel, but it works and came in a 200ml jar, so it lasts a while when used sparingly on these small bases. It has a gritty consistency that I like. We'll see how it looks painted at this
      "epic" scale vs. 28mm. heroic.

      Delete