Thursday, October 18, 2018

DreadTober 2018 - Week 3


During week three, I began with work on the base.  As a reminder, the base looked like this after modelling.

Legio Custodes Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought WIP custom base

This initial stage was then airbrushed with various Vallejo browns to lay down the initial base coat.

Legio Custodes Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought WIP custom base

Next I applied washes of GW Agrax Earthshade and Athonian Camoshade.  While the washes were still drying, I dabbed some Vallejo grey on the larger rocks allowing the paint to blend a bit with the wash.

Legio Custodes Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought WIP custom base


Once the wash dried, I dry brushed the whole thing and then mounted the dreadnought to the base using the same pin that had previously stuck it to the Bourbon cork I used while painting. Somewhat arbitrarily, I chose some 5-minute epoxy to glue the feet down this time instead of my usual super glue.   Here's how things look not that the dread is mounted to its base.

Legio Custodes Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought WIP

Legio Custodes Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought WIP

Next, Some additional dry brushing was done on the base followed by some experimentation with Forge World weathering powders, and pigment fixer.  I used a dark brown and a lighter brown dabbed on the base and brushed over the feet carefully to add dust and weather without obscuring the paint job too much.

Legio Custodes Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought WIP

Looks like pretty convincing splotchy blasted ground I guess! :)  I have not had the pleasure of exploring any war-torn alien worlds lately! The base came out a bit more yellow in spots than I set out for, but I think in the end it goes well with the paint work.

Legio Custodes Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought WIP

Seen above, I added a decal to the otherwise plain left shoulder pad from the Forge World Legio Custodes decal sheet.  This contemptor is an ancient relic worthy of millennia old iconography, I figure. Here's a close up of the decal work.

Legio Custodes Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought WIP left shoulder decal

It's got a simple layer of GW Lahmian Medium over it in this picture and will look more blended with the model's paint work once the flat coat gets sprayed over all.  I also added some freehand lettering to the scroll on the right shoulder.

Legio Custodes Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought WIP right should scroll

I will apologize to any of my UK readers who may find offense here, but "ira" is "wrath" in Latin (if my research was accurate).  So I intend no other reference here than that. Even using fine markers, my freehand lettering is pretty abysmal.  It'll stand for now.

Legio Custodes Contemptor-Achillus Dreadnought WIP


Following this, the model got a solid coat of varnish using Model Masters Lusterless Flat Coat. And that wrapped up progress for week three and the model for that matter.   I'm calling it here.  For week four, I will post up some gallery pics of the finished product.  I'm pleased to finish early and very happy with how this latest edition to my growing Adeptus Custodes force has come out.

I hope you projects are coming allow well too.

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

6 comments:

  1. I did double take the scroll! IRAE would probably be better, as High Gothic is pseudo Latin. Try scrollwork with a Brown Micron Pen 0.05mm pen, best cheat! Dread looks great mate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good idea...IRAE it will be then. An easy update. I in fact used a black micron .05mm over brown micron .1mm. I started with just a brown .05mm, but the text appeared too faded and didn't stand out enough, I thought. I'll see how I do writing smaller to fit the four character sin the same space! :P Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. Ah cool, you already know the cheat ha ha... another is start in the centre so R+A and expand outwards with I+E so when doing longer words you don't run out of room or have stuff bunched up... but you probably know that too ;)

      Delete
    3. Another good pointer. It is a challenge to get the spacing to work, esp. when the surface isn't flat and straight.

      Delete
  2. Great work! Loving the base on the model, it's great to go into such detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do love a good base. It's odd putting so much time onto painting dirt. :P

      Delete