Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Dark Angels Company Heroes WIP - Part 1

 Dark Angels Company Heroes WIP

Hello and welcome back!  I've been slapping some paint around on these company hero models, with some success.  As I described in my last post, only the heavy bolter veteran is from the actual company heroes box set. The second veteran with the stalker boltgun is from a lieutenant kit with a new left shoulder pad and the comany champions helm. The company champion is the previously released limited/special edition model with a head swap. With some paint and transfers I think they carry the image of Dark Angels well enough!

 
I rather enjoy this company champion.  I mean it's a bit hard to grok a model in 40K with just a power sword and a pistol doing much in the game.  But he looks quite cool. :)  I've also been looking for the right place to put this iconic winged helm in my collection.
 
Dark Angels Company Champion WIP

As the 5th Company champion, he bears the company colors prominently (and proudly!) on his armor. 

Dark Angels Company Veteran WIP

I like the pose on this fella. He has the company champion's original head, which helps him stand out as a company veteran; and the laurels match the laurels on his right greave and shoulder pad.

Dark Angels Company Veteran WIP
 
The Dark Angel's left shoulder pad fits in well.  With the scroll painted and lettered this will also stand him out as a veteran.

Dark Angels Company Veteran WIP

An of course, more laurels and a veteran skull icon to seal the deal.  He is well decorated, and no doubt worthy of his honored position in the command cadre. So many skulls...

Dark Angels Company Veteran WIP

All the veterans get gold trim to mark them out as company heroes as well. This hopes to help them stand out among other veteran squads. I think of this veteran as the most junior of the squad, but he is still well decorated.
Dark Angels Company Veteran WIP
 
A quick chop of the chapter icon helped it fit on this shoulder pad.

Dark Angels Company Veteran WIP

And not only does he carry a crux terminatus pendant, but he has earned the right to bear this mighty crux on his right shoulder pad. Clearly the mark of a seasoned veteran. I'm very happy with how this little squad of plastic dudes is coming out.

Did I need a company heroes squad?  Probably not.  Did I even know that was a thing prior to the kit coming out? Nope.  But it's a cool take on the typical command squad, so I'm happy to have these fellas in the collection. As I draw these models to a close, I'll take some pics of the full squad again with the already completed company Ancient (see prior workbench post). 

If I did my work well, they'll hopefully look like they were painted at the same time, not many months apart. 😂

Cheers and Happy Gaming!!


6 comments:

  1. That's quite good progress! I always loved the plastic command squad and these are a great reimagining of that kit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAM, these look good! You have injected quite a bit of DA flavor into these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look very cool, mate. I have resisted buying that squad, as I could probably build my own with all the bits I have :-) It is great to see the Dark Angels getting some love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's basically what I did, short of sourcing the heavy bolter veteran from eBay that does belong to the new Heroe's squad.

      Delete