Monday, August 20, 2018

On the Workbench [August] - Kill Teams!

Kill Team Sector Mechanicus Killzone WIP

The new Warhammer 40K: Kill Team  game looks to be a fun variation for fielding our Warhammer 40K miniatures.  Shadow Wars: Armageddon was headed in the right direction, in my opinion, but the rules weren't quite right.  I look forward to trying it out!  I know the 29th Zetic Tigers will make an appearance at some point.

Today, I'm putting up a bonus workbench post for August.  While I should be focused on completing my Grey Knight characters, I just couldn't help raiding the hobby shelves and bits boxes to build up a few Kill Teams based on my own various armies of the Imperium.  First off, I completed the Genestealer Cult and Adeptus Mechanicus kill teams from the boxed set, with add-ons...

Adeptus Mechanicus Kill Team WIP
Ad Mech with Infiltrator and a Ruststalker Princepts

Genestealer Cult Kill Team WIP
GSC with Genestealers and  Metamorph Leader
I made a decision to base my kill teams on Sector Mechanicus bases for flavor.  For one thing, I really don't like 25mm bases after now getting used to 30mm. And my usual earthy basing just didn't fit the Kill Team boards.  I thought goign after resin bases might be just too over the top and I realized there were enough bases in the GW kit to do my teams and more.  So everyone gets themed bases...well, except the Dark Angels for now.

Grey Knight Kill Team WIP

Finally found a use for left over sprues of Grey Knight strike teams.

Deathwatch Kill Team WIP

Ad a box of Deathwatch Veterans laying about.  Oh wait, they were supposed to be converted up for the storm bolter kill team.  Ah well...

Dark Angels Kill Team WIP

The Dark Angel Sergeant had his plasma pistol replaced with a bolt rifle. He's already on a themed base, so I haven't' decided whether to base this team to go with the rest of my Dark Angels, or put them on the Sector Mechanicus bases like the rest.  This is a pretty eclectic team as well, and I'm least confident that they will remain the same after playing a few games.

SO that's five teams completed over the weekend.  I enjoy the look and feel of the killzone boards; and they match up on the Imperial Sector sides for larger games.  I thought that was cool, so I picked up the Sector Mechanicus kill zone for the board and extra terrain.  Some variation to the game with the special rules for the killzone as well. The board is shown off with some of my primed terrain in the title pic above.

This will all be fun for games of Necromunda as well as Kill Zone, I think.

Ok; now it's time to get back to painting Grey Knight characters!  To be fair, I didn't abandon that project entirely.  Here's a shot of the base work getting done on the Brother Captain.  I'm also trying out a new GW model grip I picked up.

Grey Knight Brother Captain WIP

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

4 comments:

  1. Ah ha, yes, thanks for commenting, I like finding other active blogs and adding to blogroll. Now get painting them Characters! I have a Draigo somewhere down the to-do mountain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Thanks for the kick...I really want to wrap the characters by the end of the month.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's a lot of Kill Teams to get going with. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It will be GSC or AdMech first onthe painting table...never painted either so I'm looking forward to the change. GSC will be the first Xenos scum on the blog! :P

      Delete