Wednesday, August 22, 2018

WIP: Grey Knights Characters - Part 4


Progress on the Brother Captain grinds ever onward.  More details get paint, the highlights have begun to appear, and the base finally gets some paint as shown below. Oh, and I repainted the eyes black in preparation to try again at some decent eyes on this guy.  I didn't get to it this session, but it'll happen soon.

Grey Knights Brother Captain WIP
The base gets a base coat and shade.

The base I highlighted the blacks, though I see now as I post that I forgot about the left pauldron shield.  Next some highlights of the cape and loincloth with P3 Menoth White Base over prior coats of GW Agrax Earthshade.  This will get another highlight of P3 Menoth White Highlight during a the next (dare I say final?) session.  The daemon skull on the base also got similar highlights. The lenses on the armor got some love with GW Wild Rider Red with a GW Agrax Earthshade wash.  I dabbed soe Wilder Rider red back on as a highlight after the wash dried. The Shrine also got some touch up and the sword getting more paint and other details cleaned up.

Grey Knights Brother Captain WIP

As I worked more on the halberd; the powered blade got some love.  I chose the same process as I used on the Custodian Guard, as demonstrated by Duncan on Warhammer TV.  You can see the first coat of GW Sotek Green gogin on in the photo above. I like the look.  It is striking and reads as a power blade without being too showy and overwhelming the model.  I would love to step up my game and paint on the cracking energy...we'll see...this look, to me, is far better than what things look like after I paint any kind of crackle.

Grey Knights Brother Captain WIP front

Here's a shot of the other side of the halberd.  Some Vallejo silver highlights have been applied to the gold details.

Grey Knights Brother Captain WIP right side

And finally a look at how the cape is coming along. I cleaned up the skulls in the shrine while I had the Menoth White Base out. The red trim was highlighted with some GW Wild Rider Red.  Over all this has turned out a rust color that was not my original intent.  I'm living with it for now.

Grey Knights Brother Captain WIP back

The model is nearing completion.  My "all-over-everywhere" approach to painting leaves me challenged when it comes to completing a project like this, especially when I've put it aside several times for various other things like building kill teams. :)  Without a methodology to guide where I'm at with various details (what highlights were none, which weren't...what details did I not get paint on??), I struggle wrapping things up.  I think this going to cost me completing Voldus before the end of the month...but it's not over yet!!

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

2 comments:

  1. Looks great, love the Force Weapon Blade, looks great. Nice conversion from the SM Captain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I built him right after the codex came out and with characters that didn't have models.

      Delete