Thursday, August 26, 2021

Results from the 2020/21 Hobby Season

 

Greetings and welcome back to 262krieg. It's time to put a close to the 2020/21 hobby season and appreciate the projects that managed to get completed. I started the year with the goal of painting up the marines from the Indomitus boxed set in Dark Angels colors by the end of the year (2020).  I got a good start on the assault intercessors but then paused for DreadTober 2020.

First Legion Leviathan Dreadnought

This First Legion Leviathan Dreadnought was my first completion of the season.  I was great fun to paint and represents the third First Legion dreadnought that I have painted for DreadTober.

Dark Angels Assault Intercessors

With DreadTober complete, I went back and finished the squad of Indomitus assault intercessors. This is the second full squad of Primaris marines I have painted so far, many more would follow.

Dark Angels Eradicators

Next, I knocked off the squad of Eradicators.

Dark Angels Ravenwing Outriders

The Outriders followed.  This is the very first Ravenwing unit that I have ever completed (since 3rd edition...).  Yikes.  I have some many legacy Ravenwing models built and primed too.

Dark Angels Bladeguard

Then I sunk my teeth into the Bladeguard.  These boys were fun to paint, especially after painting nothing but black and green armor for months.

Aeronautica Imperialis Bases

I took a break and painted up all of the Aeronautica Imperialis bases that I had at the time.  I got inspired by some of the great paint jobs out there on the web and got to work.  I have no idea when we'll get painted planes to go on these bases though. 😁 Perhaps that was not the best use of my hobby time...

Dark Angels Deathwing Lieutenant

Then I had to get back to Indomitus and paint the characters, starting with the lieutenant (or Blade Guard Sergeant, depending on how you look at it). It's now December.

Dark Angels Bladeguard Ancient

The Ancient came next.  Very fun to paint, but December was slipping by...and it would turn out that this was the last model to get painted in 2020. Not bad at all, with only two Characters left to paint, I had painted 21 of the 23 marines inside my deadline - and completed a big Dread to boot (I'm trying to forget about those distracting bases...)

Dark Angels Deathwing Master

Starting 2021, I needed to get the Indomitus characters complete before Squaduary and MonsterMarch. I was very pleased with how the Captain/Master came out. Painting these Indomitus models in Deathwing colors just gets excited to paint more.

Dark Angels Judiciar

Last up for the Indomitus box was the Judiciar. He's an odd duck, but I had a good time painting him none-the-less.

Dark Angels Chaplain

The Judiciar prompted me to paint a proper Chaplain for the force as well, now that I had completed the Indomitus models.

Dark Angels Librarian

I rounded out the force by tweaking a prior Blades of Vengeance Librarian to join the force. The Blades of Vengeance will be using Vangguard models so they get the Librarian in Phobos armor. This set of characters rounded off the force and gave me a number of options to play with.  It became a good stopping point, and I got it all done before Squaduary 2021. Great accomplishments so far.

Blackstone Fotress Traitor Guardsmen

For Squaduary 2021, I decided to complete the hostiles for Blackstone Fortress by painting up the 14 traitor guardsmen. I don't paint a lot of chaos so this was quite a different pallet for me.

Ordo Sinister Warlord-Sinister Battle Titan

Then it was time for #MonsterMarch5.  I don't paint monsters generally so it's been my tradition to paint large titans for Adeptus Mechanicus instead.  This is my third in as many years.  I had so much fun with it that I was inspired to plow ahead with Legio Ignatum.

Legio Ignatum Reaver Battle Titan

I added a second Reaver Battle Titan.

Legio Ignatum Warhound Battle Titans

And then two Warhounds. This gave me five titans for the Legio plus the Warlord-Sinister as reinforcements (or a proxy Warlord titan if needed). Now I had 13 engines painted in total between Legio Tempestus, Legio Ignatum, and Ordo Sinister.

Moon Elf Sorceror Meryn Yes'gella

I took a break form titans to paint a figure to represent a D&D 5th edition character I had been playing over zoom since shortly before Covid set in. My heart wasn't in the project though, so this is as far as I got.  It's here as an honorable mention, since it represents me breaking away from 30/40K for a change.

Blackstone Fortress Explorer Janus Draik

Then I painted up Janus Draik as the first of my Blackstone Fortress Explorers.  I had hoped to paint four Explorers, but one will have to do.

Dark Angels Redemptor Dreadnought

Then for pretty much no reason, I got inspired to paint this Redemptor Dreadnought to reinforce the ark Angels Indomitus force. I love all dreadnoughts, but this guy was seriously fun to build and paint.

Dark Angels Intercessor Squad

Having put so much effort into the Dark Angels already this season, I then I felt it was time to paint the Heavy Intercessors and add a unit of Intercessors into the bargain.

Dark Angels Heavy Intercessor Squad

I batch painted the ten models and yikes....it took some time.  But I got it done, and for that I am plenty pleased.  They didn't come out half bad either!

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn and Daemonhost Cherubael

While painting the Intercessors, I learned about the 2021 Inquisitorial Conclave run over at The Neverness Hobby Chronicle. I love a good community hobby challenge and have had nothing for the summer months, so I jumped in with this Model of Gregor Eisenhorn. And with a little time left to me, I even tossed the daemonhost Cherubael into the mix to complete two models for the Conclave this year.

And that, my friends, is where the hobby season ended for me.  What a great set of models. 52 infantry models, two dreadnoughts, and four AT titans completed in one season.  That's a great haul here at 262Krieg and I'm grinning from ear-to-ear as I write this down. That's not even mentioning any of the great builds that went on throughout the year and now sit on the shelves waiting for a future season to paint them. Let's see how that stacks up with the seasons To-Do list?

My To Do List for the 2020/21 season:

The Horus Heresy

  • Complete all new First Legion units released (or to be released) by Forge World. (Partial - Leviathan)
Warhammer 40K
  • Complete Dark Angels from the Indomitus Crusade Box by 12/31/2020
Adeptus Titanicus
  • Complete Legio Ignatum Reaver Titan
  • Complete Legio Ignatum Warhounds (2)
  • Complete Sinister Warlord Titan
Blackstone Fortress
  • Complete Starter Set (Partial - Hostiles done)
Aeronautica Imperialis
  • Complete models from Wings of Vengeance (NOPE - nice bases though...)
Bonus Projects:
  • Complete another House Taranis Questoris Knight for Warhammer 40K (NOPE)
  • Complete another Unit of Custodes (NOPE)
Well, not so bad.  I hit many of the high points.  There was some extra units for the Dark Angels beyond Indomitus, and only a couple side projects (Moon Elf Sorcerer and Eisenhorn)

What will the 2021/22 season bring?  You'll have to check back next week to find out, when I post up my TO-DO list for the season. Of course, we all know to-do lists are guidance at best, and toilet paper at worst. I don't really know what the winds of hobby will blow across my desk.  But I know the projects will be grand and I look forward to seeing what the Community at large puts forth alongside my own work.

Be safe out there and keep on hobbying.

Cheers and Happy Gaming!


No comments:

Post a Comment