Thursday, August 12, 2021

2021 Inquisitional Conclave - Gregor Eisenhorn WIP

 

credit: The Neverness Hobby Chronicle

Greetings and welcome to my first post of the 2021 Inquisitorial Conclave.  This is my first year participating.  As it happened, I had this sitting on the shelf waiting for my time...

40K Ordo Xenos Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn WIP

It was primed black sometime ago using my typical choice of Vallejo Surface Primer Black.  So it was really no problem to pick it up and start painting, now that my Intercessors were complete.  Now...will I finish?  That remains yet to be seen, but I'm all in for trying.  I have some camping with the family at the end of August, so I really have just this week and next to get the Inquisitor completed...and I guess the last couple days of the month when I'm back from the woods to finish up if need be.

40K Ordo Xenos Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn WIP40K Ordo Xenos Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn WIP

I'm using Monument Hobbies Pro Acryl paints for this project with some added GW Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthsahde on top here and there.  I'm and "inside out" painter for the most part.  So I got started blocking in the undersides of the various flappy layers, the pants, and the boots.  Then I looked at the shirt and started adding on some other bits like the holster and other straps.  This is always a fun time because the model typically looks rather terrible at this point.

40K Ordo Xenos Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn WIP40K Ordo Xenos Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn WIP

After various layers of shade, details started to appear and old Gregor started to take shape.  He still looks pretty bad though, if I'm being honest.  But this is all part of the process. If one can stick it out to cross this divide, beauty waits on the far side.

I took a break at his point to look at the base.  I had been dabbling with it while waiting for various shades to dry.

 
Back when i assembled Gregor, I added some of my typical model railroad gravel mix around the resin rubble to fill the base in more naturally.  So after priming, I simply covered the whole thing in a medium/light grey and gave it a coat of Monument Hobbies Pro Acryl Transparent Black. It's a bit like a contrast paint from GW, but not as goopy...sort of between contrast and Nuln Oil.  Anyway, it thins well for controlling how dark things get.
 
40K Ordo Xenos Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn WIP

Then it was an easy matter to pick out the details.  I'm cleaving to the box art for Gregor as I felt it already looked pretty cool and I didn't see what I was likely to do to improve on it.  That and I'm a helplessly avid follower of the cannon in any case.

40K Ordo Xenos Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn WIP

The base is now ready to receive Gregor when he's prepared.  I tidied up a bit and added details like the rebar, shell cases, and odd demonic skull bit. Not 100% thrilled with the skull so we'll see where that ends up later.  Here, you can see the latest shade layer is still drying.

 But that's where I'm at so far in week two of the Conclave.  A late start, but I've leapt in with some gusto and we'll see where that enthusiasm takes me. 

Stay safe out there.

Cheers and Happy Gaming!


No comments:

Post a Comment