Thursday, September 26, 2019

WIP: Blades of Vengeance Primaris Lieutenants - Power Swords!

40K Blades of Vengeance Lieutenants WIP - power swords

More progress on the Blades of Vengeance characters. I painted Vallejo Dark Rubber on all the flexible joints in the armor and shaded this with GW Nuln Oil.  Then I decided to work on the power swords. I chose the same recipe and method Duncan from GW demonstrates for Adeptus Custodes starting around 10:05 in the video.

40K Blades of Vengeance Lieutenant WIP - power sword40K Blades of Vengeance Lieutenant WIP - power sword


40K Blades of Vengeance Lieutenant WIP - power sword

I have to say, the close ups look pretty rough.  However, on the table it's a neat effect.  It's clear these boys have something interesting for weapons, and it's pretty easy to spot the power weapons as a result. The highlights are intentionally patchy and a bit random to sell an effect of crackling energy up on the blade. Might have sold it too cheaply, but it's a hobby not a contest. :)

40K Blades of Vengeance Lieutenant WIP - Power Sword40K Blades of Vengeance Lieutenant WIP - power sword

 40K Blades of Vengeance Lieutenant WIP - power sword

GW White Scar highlights are focused at the sword tips and certain key raised points in some cases where I wanted to add more contrast. The recipe is in the video, of course, but can also be found on my recipe tabs above.

40K Blades of Vengeance Lieutenant WIP - power sword40K Blades of Vengeance Lieutenant WIP - power sword


40K Blades of Vengeance Lieutenant WIP - power sword

At this point in the pictures, I haven't gone back and done anything with the hilt or power leads on the blades.  The GW Drakenhof Nightshade has covered and darkened the leads.  These will be touched up and highlighted to clean things up and some minor object source lighting will be added to show the power source for the blades. I ran out of time during the last session to complete that part for all four models and decided to hold off until next session.

40K Blades of Vengeance Lieutenant WIP - Power Sword

40K Blades of Vengeance Lieutenant WIP - power sword

So there is four Lieutenants with sexy new power blades. Only five more days until DreadTober!  I have to kick it in high gear as the Blades project goes on hold for the month of October. I'd really like to have the characters completed - though decals will likely wait since I don't have the new reprints in yet.

Can't wait for DreadTober! Why haven't you signed up yet?

Cheers and Happy Gaming!


2 comments:

  1. Good job on the swords, I did the same on my Capt in Termie Armour last night but chickened out of the last stage with the fine line highlight, so good job on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has a line to cross...for me, it's the crackling energy lines that Duncan demonstrates in the video...some day maybe I'll cross that line. but my early attempts weren't pretty.

      Delete