Friday, April 14, 2023

Dark Angels 40K Character WIP - Part 1

 

Dark Angels Characters WIP

Greetings and welcome back.  With the winter community challenges behind me, it was time to take stock of my collection and reach for inspiration to guide my next project.  I've been reading the Arks of Omen: Vashtorr since acquiring the new Primaris Azrael model...and thinking about the soon-to-be-pre-ordered Lion and that was all I needed to get set on the path to painting more 40k Dark Angels.

Dark Angels Characters WIP

I knew I was going to paint Azrael, so I decided to pull in a couple more characters that have been waiting in the wings for quite some time.  Master Lazarus was a must for the new lore and then a handful of utility characters would suit. The one pre-painted Lieutenant has been requisitioned from the Blades of Vengeance project and his armor is undergoing the rites of color to match his new chapter. Not much else to share about the Lieutenants at this time.

Dark Angels Primaris Ancient WIP

The ancient has only had his green armor base coat applied.  This is the newer of the two Primaris Ancient models...maybe a limited edition?  I don't keep track, honestly. It's very close to the original Ancient, but with a couple more characterful details, like the shoulder slung bolt rifle.

Dark Angels Primaris Techmarine WIP

The Techmarine likewise has only had an armor base coat.  I do very much like this version of a techmarine though.  Great dynamic pose, lots going on.

Dark Angels Master Lazarus WIP

Master Lazarus caught my attention right away and so has enjoyed more paint so far. To my eye, this is just a great Space marine pose.  No so original, I know, but I just like how the whole thing comes together.

Dark Angels Master Lazarus WIP

Not much to see here really, but progress none-the-less! This brings us to the main event...Azrael!

Dark Angels Chapter Master Azrael WIP

His original model was SO diminutive. You could be forgiven for thinking HE was a watcher in the dark. This new model brings him back up to date after decades, so it's about time. He's sort of anti-climatic when stood next to Lazarus. I guess I'm just too used to seeing all the over-the-top primarchs and what not.  I mean he's JUST a normal Primaris marine. :) Lots going on here though and I hope to do him justice with the paint.With that banner and the (admittedly simple) diarama base, he's sure to stand out.

Dark Angels Chapter Master Azrael WIP

I managed to get a pretty even coat of paint with a brush here, so that's cool.  Very early days as you can see.  I'm not exactly batch painting, but I am taking advantage of various colors on the wet palette to move things along and not waste paint. By the time I'm finished, I'll either be primed and ready to paint The Lion returned, or totally sick of Dark Angels green.  I guess time will tell. 😀 Either way, it was past time to put some more work in on my collection of 40K Dark Angels.

So that's going to take me through April for sure, maybe longer.  We'll have to see. Best of luck with your own lives and projects.


Cheers and Happy gaming!





2 comments:

  1. I love the fact that the model isn't too over-the-top with detail. It is nice to see something simple and effective :-) Good luck with the pain jobs, mate, I'm looking forward to seeing these legends come to life.

    ReplyDelete