Tuesday, December 14, 2021

The Hobby and a New Generation

 

Painting Skeletons WIP

I have something a bit different to share today.  With the recent reboot of the adventure game HeroQuest, I went all in on the kickstarter and decided it was time to expose my 10yr old daughter to the joys of gaming with miniatures. So it was that I brought out the core game on a rainy day, this past weekend.  Now, I know better than to force these things. So I simply brought it out and started going through the contents and reading the instructions in the family room while my daughter was reading.

Somehow, despite being a gaming since getting a copy of D&D in the early 80's, I missed HeroQuest entirely.  I'd heard of it; but never once played it.  Choosing to pick up the kickstarter mythical tier was a bit of a blind investment on my part as a result.  So I was indeed reading the rules in earnest to determine the play-ability for a 10 year old (and probably a seven year old too once her sister catches on to the fun being had).

This is a hobby blog, so I won't go into the gaming details.  In short, my daughter looked up from the book at some point as asked what I was up to.  The rest is Daddy self-satisfied prideful history.  Six or so hours of our Saturday disappeared unremarked while my daughter soloed the first quest, then ran it for me to solo as well. That was great fun, and now it seems I have a gaming partner.  But the real fun was her immediate desire to put paint on miniatures, as she's seen her dad do.

She asked for something simple like one of the treasure chests from HeroQuest, but then backed down stating she wanted to practice first before taking on one of the game pieces.  So we rummaged around in my bitz box for quite a bit and ultimately ended up in the attic where I stash my Warhammer Fantasy stuff that no longer really appeals to me. And so began our first painting lesson with old-school Warhammer skeletons.

Painting Skeletons WIP
Skeleton #1

They are *perfect* starter models.  simple, clear details. 3 colors (4 if you include the base) on easy to see and reach areas.  All basic techniques used (prime, base coat, shade, dry-brush, edge highlight).

Painting Skeletons WIP
Skeleton #2

My daughter took to it eagerly and we each painted a skeleton, while I walked her through the techniques in turn.

Painting Skeletons WIP

I couldn't have been more proud watching her nail each stage.  I should say up front that both of my daughters are extremely craft focused and have been into various art forms since being old enough to throw paint and smart enough (barely) to not eat it.

Painting Skeletons WIP

I'll let you sort out which skeleton was painted by me and which by my daughter.  I'd love to see your guesses in the comments, in fact!  I can imagine my daughter would get a kick out of it too. The exercise was so successful that my daughter grabbed a couple more skeletons out of the case and started them up to, as seen in the title pic.  Yay!  What a great feeling to be able to share something I take so much joy in.  Today I'm a happy, proud dad.

Blackstone Fortress Dahyak Grekh WIP
Not a Skeleton...

Thanks for reading if you got this far.  Come by again to see my progress on Dahyak Grekh, an Explorer from Blackstone Fortress.  It feels likely that Blackstone Fortress will come out as a family game soon - I'm so psyched!

After that I'll get back to more 40K stuff most likely...or possibly Adeptus Titanicus.  I really can't be certain until I'm putting paint on a model.

Wishing you lots of Holiday Cheer.

Stay safe out there.

Cheers and Happy Gaming!



No comments:

Post a Comment