Friday, September 14, 2018

WIP: Questoris Mechanicus Knight Paladin of House Taranis - Part 3

Putting more work in on the Knight Paladin, Custos Martis. The white and red armor panels on the legs were cleaned up from the shading process.  I need to get better at applying gloss coats before shading to control how much damage I d while applying the Nuln Oil.  I did try that approach while working on the Warglaives, but found I still got the same or similar staining. I think it's down to me not thinning the Nuln Oil prior to application.

The red armor and on the legs and the banner then got a bold highlight of GW Wildrider Red, followed by a second thin highlight of GW Evil Sunz Scarlet.  I brought in some Vallejo Dark Rubber (70.306) for the flexible joints on the toes, then shaded it with GW Nuln Oil.  The smooth wires/hoses were painted GW Abbadon Black and the metal skeleton of the legs got some cleanup and simple highlighting. I'll come in with a second pass later.

The legs are coming along great.  They have fully recovered from being repainted in House Taranis colors. I'll look at decals next so I can blend them with any final shading/weathering.  As mentioned earlier, I'm working ground up now.  So once I have the legs where I want them, I'll move up to the torso and arms.  Here's a close up of the legs.

House Taranis Questoris Mechanicus Knight Paladin WIP legs, front

House Taranis Questoris Mechanicus Knight Paladin WIP legs, back

A quick assembly of the parts to see where we're at...Looking good!

House Taranis Questoris Mechanicus Knight Paladin WIP

Next up, I added Vallejo Chrome highlights to the silver trim on the leg armor as well as other metal highlights, including brightening up some of the gold details where prior shade passes had dulled it too much. Then I got down to some decals.  I *love* decal work.  It's probably because my freehand is so awful.  Some solid decal work really helps finish one of these models off.

House Taranis Questoris Mechanicus Knight Paladin WIP leg decals

Next up, I got on with the upper half of the Knight Paladin, starting by cleaning up the red armor from its initial pass of shading.  I will get more patient with thinning the Nuln Oil and putting down a sealer before shading to avoid all the rework on the armor of future knights for this project.

Despite the extra work, the red is coming our well.  Next up will be highlights for the torso armor.  Before that, I got to work on the carapace armor.  This required trim and details, then a shade of Nuln Oil, and then more cleanup of the red armor.  I haven't done the last part, but already the carapace is looking good.

The mechanicum seal needs work, but the rest of the details are blocked in and shaded.

Most everything got cleaned up form the shading process except the red.  I ran outta time for this session but I'll get to it first up when I sit down next to paint.  The it'll be time to highlight everything and lay down decals.  Here's how Custos Martis stood by then end of the evening.

Now with more dakka,,,

That's it for now.  I hope the have the torso complete in one more session.  Then the arms need work before I can call this one done.  Getting there though.  I really like how the Taranis color scheme is coming out on this Knight.  I have lots of inspiration now to carry me into the remaining four knights (and two helverins...yikes).

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment