Wednesday, July 25, 2018

WIP: Deathwatch Librarian w/Jump pack - Part 2

Deathwatch Librarian with Jump Pack WIP closeup

I got some paint on the Deathwatch Librarian, blocking in the left arm, robes, right shoulder and some miscellaneous gold details. I'm following the Deathwatch recipe which can be seen by selecting the appropriate tab above. Everything but the right shoulder pad and holster has been shaded so far. Now, I am starting to get a look at the detail and imagine the overall look of the model when it is finished.

Deathwatch Librarian with Jump Pack WIP front

This fella has almost too much detail clustered on the front.  It's a tangle of robes, icons and scrolls. I hope I can clean up these details with the highlights so each item looks distinct without distracting from the overall effect.  I believe the completed head, pistol and highlights to the armor will help draw focus away from this mess of stuff.

Deathwatch Librarian with Jump Pack WIP right side

The Librarius shoulder pad will hopefully support the fact this is a librarian and not another watch captain or other character with a jump pack. Not having the distinct looking force staff could cause confusion there. This brother of the Deathwatch has chosen to honor the Librarius rather than his chapter here.  I wonder why?

Deathwatch Librarian with Jump Pack WIP left side

I decided to try a light coat of GW Drakenhof Nightshade over the Nuln Oil on the left arm.  This adds a blue tinge to the silver, afterall it is holding a force weapon! :)  I may go for a second and third pass concentrating on the hand...we'll see.  I like fun painting effects, but for me, they can sometimes look forced and over done.  Much like OSL which appears quite a bit these days.  I've seen amazing OSL that really added to the model and its story.  And I've seen routine OSL that distracts from a model instead of enhancing it.  So not sure how far I'll go with psyker effects. This Librarian is in the act of snapping off plasma shots in any case, not focusing his will for the kill.

That's where I'm at after the first painting session. This is the murky stage where colors are emerging but the over all model looks like crap.  Experience has taught me to ignore this and push on through with optimism.  I am proud of my other Deathwatch characters and this model should turn out no different! 

What are you working on this week?

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment