Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Grey Knights Strike Squad - TO DONE

 

40K Grey Knights Strike Squad

The Grey Knights squad is finally complete. Aside from some clean up and tiny details here and there, I had one major task to bring these guys to the finish line - shoulder pads.  The Grey Knights carry individual heraldry on their right shoulder pauldrons to signify various significant honors and deeds.  Fortunately there is no specific documented heraldic scheme for this so a painter has a great deal of flexibility.

40K Grey Knights Strike Squad WIP

I started by painting the shoulder pads white.  When this dried, I went back and painted on a design in either red or black. The sergeant and 2nd in command both have fancy pads already, so I didn't need to paint heraldry there.

40K Grey Knights Strike Squad WIP

Once the basic design was dry and appropriately touched up, I went back and touched up the rims and any raised detail on the shoulder pads.  After this was done, I applied decals (skulls and swords) from my collection to various areas on the shoulder pads.  I used no fixed scheme here, but did borrow from examples in the codex for inspiration. After allowing the decals to dry overnight, I brushed on some gloss varnish and allowed that to dry.  I then finished up with a coat of GW Nuln Oil, making sure to draw excess paint from the surfaces of the shoulder pads, to the recess around the raised details and rims.  I didn't take pictures of this, but the results can be seen in the final light box pictures below. 

With the personal heraldry complete, I applied matte varnish to the squad and moved the project to the TO DONE pile.  I love the results and was pleased to add this squad to the display cabinet, joining the handful of characters I have completed over the years. This is my first completed squad of grey knights. For pics of the final results, scroll on down to the photo shoot after the break.

Now on to DreadTober 2021!

Stay safe out there.

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

40K Grey Knights Strike Squad

40K Grey Knights Strike Squad

40K Grey Knights Strike Squad

40K Grey Knights Strike Squad

40K Grey Knights Strike Squad

40K Grey Knights Strike Squad




No comments:

Post a Comment