Friday, October 1, 2021

DreadTober 2021 Project Kick-off


Image credit:

Welcome to DreadTober 2021 at 262Krieg!  This year I'm painting a Legio Custodes Telemon Heavy Dreadnought from Forge World, including two of each arm weapon. And I got it built just in time to get painting.

Legio Custodes Telemon Heavy Dreadnought WIP

I started the build with the legs.  I always have in mind some awesome dynamic pose when I start these projects.  And I seem to always end up with something...less.  Either I retreat to a typical static pose, or I end up with a pose akin to a stumbling drunken sailor. I'll let you decide for yourself how I ended up here. 😂

Legio Custodes Telemon Heavy Dreadnought WIP Legio Custodes Telemon Heavy Dreadnought WIP

If you aren't pinning things together, it's a good idea to scribe a cross hatch pattern on ball joints (and even other areas) with a hobby knife, as I've done here.  This gives the glue something to grab onto.

Legio Custodes Telemon Heavy Dreadnought WIP
Testing the Model's Balance

Here the Telemon is not glued to the base, nor has the torso been glued on.  Everything is just dry fit and free standing. I will build up a suitably interesting scene on the base for the Telemon to stand on at some point during the challenge.

Legio Custodes Telemon Heavy Dreadnought WIP

I cannot get enough of magnets, so the missile launcher has been magnetized as shown here so it can be swiveled or removed entirely.  It was already cast for magnets. I doubt we'll see optional carapace weapons released for the Telemon at this point, but I'm ready! The top of the carapace isn't glued down yet, to allow me to get to the head when it's time to paint.

Legio Custodes Telemon Heavy Dreadnought WIP

The shoulders and arms were also cast with sockets for magnets.  So the effort to get all the arm options set up was trivial in the extreme. 

Still standing on its own with all the armor fitted in place. The shoulder armor locks the top of the carapace in place so it won't get glued down until I get things painted to a point where the carapace lid can be permanently glue down. I may even paint the shoulders as sub-assemblies since they will be a different color from the main body.

I plan to paint this fella in the stock red and gold color scheme.  Not very imaginative but it matches the rest of my force, including a Contemptor-Achillus I painted for DreadTober 2018. I'll get to see what if anything has changed/improved with my techniques over the last three years.

I hope you'll check back throughout the challenge to see how I get on with it.

Stay safe out there.

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment