Thursday, November 14, 2019

WIP: Sisters of Silence Vigilator Squad - Part 2

Sisters of Silence Vigilator squad WIP

I have more progress on the Vigilators to share today. The paint work advanced to a point where I could attach the sisters to their bases.  That's always a fun move as it really makes the project seem to advance quickly.  The bases were painted with a simple dry brush of various Vallejo browns.  The recipe is on the Custodes tab above. I used some 5-minute epoxy to glue the sisters down, pinning them with a bit of the brass rod that was previously binding them to the painting handles.

Sisters of Silence Vigilator WIP - front

The cloaks received two highlight and the heads were painted and then shaded with GW Reikland Fleshshade.

Sisters of Silence Vigilator WIP - back

The hair received two layers of highlights as well, using a simple dry brush technique. The fur on the cloaks was also dry brushed with Vallejo Ghost Grey.

Sisters of Silence Oblivion Knight WIP - front

The gloved hands and various gaps in the armor where the body gloves show were painted with Vallejo Dark Rubber and shaded with GW Nuln Oil.  The armored knuckled will be picked out next and some highlights added to the dark grey on the hands.

Sisters of Silence Oblivion Knight WIP - back

The parchment seals and ribbons where painted with P3 Menoth White. The will be later shaded with GW Agrax Earthshade and highlighted with P3 Menoth White Highlight.

Sisters of Silence Vigilator WIP - front

On the bases, the sisters are starting to come alive.  I think simple cork with the Black Lava sandy texture paints up well. I focus the lighter highlights around the sharp edges of the broken ground and the high points of the rocky rubble.

Sisters of Silence Vigilator WIP - back

I haven't decided yet what colors to use on the cloak trim and details.  Something that pops while not adding too much more chaos to already colorful models.  Possibly white to match the fur.

Sisters of Silence Vigilator WIP - front

The cloak highlights need some blending and cleanup in spots.  Every time I think I'm finally getting the hang of edge highlights, something goes blobby on me.  I'm feeling good overall though with the highlights on the sisters so far.

Sisters of Silence Vigilator WIP - back

More fun cloak details waiting for paint.

Sisters of Silence Vigilator WIP - front

I'm trying out some darker skin tones on a couple of the sisters to mix things up a bit.  It's a good opportunity to try new things and think about painting flesh in different ways.

Sisters of Silence Vigilator WIP - back

Yikes...another spot where the cloak highlights got away from me a bit. I'll go back and see about blending things in better on that center fold so I can sharpen the highlight.

Sisters of Silence Vigilator WIP - front

So much more detail and finish work to do on these ladies. I'm still thinking about adding stripes or spots or something to the long fur cloaks to break up the field of furry grey.

Sisters of Silence Vigilator WIP - back

And that's where the six sisters stand at this point.  I had to push through some serious painter's block to make progress on these ladies this week.  I thought assembling the knights for AT would be a good break, but it almost derailed the Sister's project instead. Getting the models on their bases helped motivate me to carry on. But these things happen. I have only self imposed deadlines to meet so the only pressure is to make some progress (however small) and keep the project moving forward.

Next week, these ladies should be looking sharp.

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

2 comments:

  1. Coming along nicely! The blue cloaks really pop out, not seen often so kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's growing on me. I wanted something to help these ladies stand alone among the rest of my Custodes while still appearing as a complimentary force.

      Delete