Monday, November 19, 2018

WIP: Elucidian Starstriders (Rogue Trader) Part 1

Elucidian Starstriders, ready to paint

Greetings.  Today I have a short WIP post on my collection of Elucidian Starstriders from the Kill Team: Rogue Trader boxed set.  I assembled the models stock, but chose to forgo the generic GW plastic bases in favor of a game bundle offered by Secret Weapon Miniatures specifically for the game.



As shown in the title image, I mounted the Starstriders on bourbon corks for painting, then primed them (as well as the bases) using Vallejo Surface Primer Black. Then for fun, I painted the bases using a heavy Vallejo Gunmetal dry brush followed by GW Tin Bitz on any brass portions.  The Tin Bitz was further highlighted with Vallejo Brass before the whole base was shaded with GW Nuln Oil Gloss thinned to a roughly 50/50 mix with GW Lahmian Medium.  The Some GW Athonian Camoshade (also thinned with Lahmian Meduim) was dabbed on in pools here and there while GW Reikland Flesh Shade was dabbed over the brass sections. Once this all dried thoroughly, the bases were given a good covering spray of Model Masters Lusterless Flat Coat to seal them and return everything to a consistent finish.



Double sided tape was used to fix the bases to a common paint stirring stick. A simple effect that was quick to achieve, I'm quite happy with how things turned out.  Once the Starstriders are painted and pinned down, I'll touch things up with some additional shading and highlighting to complete the mood of each piece.

What do you think? This project will sit on the back burner while I get back to my Titanicus titans and Mechanicum kill team. I hope to have a post up here and there with progress on each piece, however.  And at some point, expect to see similar progress on the Gellerpox Infected! Maybe one of these two tams will show up for Squaduary next year...

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I just finished off a set and they were a joy to paint! Looking forward to your take on 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, you post just popped into my reader, by coincidence. I'm checking 'em out now.

      Delete