With the passing of DreadTober 2017 and Squaduary 2018, this Deathwatch Watch Captain made it back to the head of the queue. He might have been helped along by the reveal at Adepticon that a Deathwatch codex is on the horizon for this year. I'd really like to get some progress done one everything I have built and primed so far. This session started out with some shading of the metals, GW Reikland Fleshshade for the gold and GW Nuln Oil for the silver.
Next up, the cape got some work. GW Mephiston Red was laid down on the outside while the lining was painted with P3 Menoth White. Both were then tidied up and shaded with GW Agrax Earthshade. While waiting for things to dry, the purity seals got the basic treatment too.
Then the rope down the back got some P3 Menoth White Highlight and two passes of GW Seraphim Sepia shade with a final pass of GW Agrax Earthshade as a pin-wash around the edges to shade where the rope lies on the cape. With these details complete, the jumppack was finally attached. I was frankly getting tired of it laying about and was concerned it might get knocked under something and go missing. Anything important it might have got in the way of has been painted and it should be easy to finish it up now that it is attached. I want to be sure my highlights and other details look consistent across the final model as well.
Next, the leather skirt in the front got some GW Tuskgor Fur, shaded with GW Agrax Earthshade, and highlighted with GW Kislev flesh. Vallejo Brass was painted on the metal bits, and the whole thing was shaded with second coat of GW Agrax Earthshade. This was something new I wanted to try. I might prefer the Custodes recipe using GW Doombull Brown, but I'm letting this sit and grow on me for a little variety across my collection.
The gold bitz were given an initial highlight of Vallejo Brass as well, but it doesn't show up in the pictures. The GW Mephiston red was painted onto the helmet eye lenses, followed by a line of GW Wild Rider Red and a shorter line of GW Evil Sunz Scarlet. A light shade of GW Nuln Oil was washed over all to put back some definition where the lenses meet the helmet, and to blend things a bit.
Next a spot color of green was added first to the laurels on the chest plate, then to the alien blade (clearly of Necron origin...). GW Warpstone glow was painted on as a base, then highlighted with GW Moot Green. The the lot was shaded with GW Biel-Tan Green to tone it down and blend things a bit. The a second highlight of Moot Green was applied at certain points to make things pop in a pleasing way. I didn't want these parts to look radioactive or something!
I was pleased with how the sword came out. After the shade dried, a thin line of GW Chaos Black was applied just to the sloped part of the blade where some shadow lies between the two edge highlights. This darkened the effect of the green shading enough to emphasize the shadows, though I'm not sure it shows in the photos much.
Last up, I tried out some new pens to add text to the scroll work. The close ups look more muddled than the effect seen on the model at a more normal distance. It's still much better than my painted attempts...and it looked even better before I brushed GW Lahmian Medium over it to seal things. I'm guessing I should have waited longer for the ink to dry - but perhaps this is better done with the airbrush...or during the final sealing process with Model Masters Lusterless Flat. Live and learn...
So that's where things stand so far. Probably one more article to document the completion of this model with some gallery shots in the light box. The combi-melta is next up for completion, then the black armor and the cloak need highlighting, of course, and there are other small details here and there. But I'm confident I will see this model done very soon.
I hope you have enjoyed seeing the progress unfold. As always, comments are welcome.
Cheers and Happy Gaming!