Thursday, May 2, 2024

Legion Imperialis Dark Angel Rhinos WIP

 

Dark Angels Rhino Transprots for Legions Imperialis WIP

Tiny Transports!

Greetings and welcome back. Today, I'm sharing my first Legions Imperialis painting WIP - Dark Angels Rhino transports. It's hard to showcase these tiny models but if you click through the pictures to the larger photo, you might pick up a detail to two.

 

Dark Angels Rhino Transprots for Legions Imperialis WIP


I started with a base coat/primer of Vallejo Surface Primer Black. Then I dry brushed over that with Proacryl Dark Warm Grey. This picked out the detail a bit without making things too flashy or cartoonish. Then I used Proacryl Bold Pyrrole Red to put a splash of Legion red on the front and rear inset panels, wrapping over the track guards as shown. Then it was a simple matter to apply Proacryl Dark Silver to the tracks, weapons and exhaust pipes.  I dry brushed some of that silver on the front plows as well.

Dark Angels Rhino Transprots for Legions Imperialis WIP

Then it was time for a tiny transfer session!  Boy was that fun.  Fortunately, I enjoy applying decals/transfers so this wasn't too much of a hassle.  They are small though...be prepared with your best precision tweezers...you have been warned!

Dark Angels Rhino Transprots for Legions Imperialis WIP

I liked the size of these legion icons for the doors and so, stuck them on regardless of the fact the door has to split down the middle to open. I'm using lots of decal softener and hoping I get enough of the decal to sink into the grooves so I can get some shade or black paint in there to show the image split where the doors open.  We'll see...not a critical detail. Rule of cool all the way here. I'm considering going through the transfer collection to see what I have for red/black or white/black checks that might be appropriate to this scale.  Might be nice to put a checker stripe down one of the top hatch doors or something.

Taken in all, and not including assembly time, this was a two session project so far, which isn't bad for 10 models, I guess.  I have another session to go where I'll look at the gunners and pintle weapons and finish shading things, like the tracks.

Bear with the photos, please.  My iPhone 14 has NOT been an upgrade for photos in my opinion.  With all of its improvements, I could take better pics with my iPhone SE, may it rest in peace. Getting the damn thing to focus on these models was a long and tiring experience - and the pics are still not good.

It was a bit of a slog painting the same thing on ten tiny models, but it wasn't awful and I'm truly looking forward to carrying on with more of the collection. So probably Spartans or Land Raiders next?  We'll see...

Cheers and Happy Gaming!


No comments:

Post a Comment