Thursday, February 9, 2023

Squaduary 2023 - Week 1 Status

 

Horus Heresy Dark Angels Inner Circle Knights Cenobium WIP

Greetings, and welcome back for some Squaduary progress. These knights have tons of detail and it's going to take me the whole month to get them done properly, no doubt. I'm off to a slow start as it is, but progress is being made.

Horus Heresy Dark Angels Inner Circle Knights Cenobium WIP

I started off with the cloaks.  The are ready to attach to the models now, once I get the bodies painted.  Pretty straight forward approach here to get started. Once the models are fully assembled, I may come back to adjust shading and highlights.  I didn't shoot pics of the underside, but it's a typical light bone/ivory shaded with the same mix of Agrax and glaze medium that I used on the outside of the cloaks.  I've started using a custom glaze medium (similar to GW lahmian medium) to thin Nuln oil and Agrax lately.  I feel the results easier to control and I end up less coffee staining, or just general 'muddying' of things. On these cloaks, I used glaze medium to thin Pro Acryl Bold Pyrrole Red then applied it in several layers concentrating most layers on the high points of the folds, and the least in the shadowy valleys.

Horus Heresy Dark Angels Inner Circle Knights Cenobium WIP

After I got the cloaks to a good point, I started on the bodies. The model on the lower right is the title pic for this post and the most complete.  I'm batch painting, but occasionally I get into a groove and take off with one particular model rather that maintaining the batch.  In this case, I think I wanted to see where the colors I chose were going to take me before painting it on everything.  I'm using mostly Pro Acryl paints here which is not the original paint recipe.  Since these are elite warriors, it shouldn't look off if their colors don't match the rank and file exactly. But to be honest, I don't think they will stand out much at all as different from the rest of the collection. The Pro Acryl colors are matching up well. 

Lots left to do, but these Inner Circle Knights Cenobium are beginning to take shape. To see another Squaduary project in action check out weemen.blogspot.com. Until next week...

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Blimey! You're smashing these.
    Great work mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! With all this detail, they basically paint themselves if you can stay within the lines at all.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic models! They are going to look amazing. I had forgotten about Squaduary this year, but I think my Tyranid Warriors will double nicely as a project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any excuse to push a little and put paint on the plastic (or resin...)!!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I always likes these models but never pulled the trigger to pick them up like.

    Yours are looking great already, I really like the red cloaks and accents you're using on the black armour, really makes them pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much! They are a pleasure to paint, even as they try my personal skill at it.

      Delete