Friday, December 2, 2022

Aeronautica Imperialis Skies of Fire Planes WIP - part 2

Aeronuatica Imperialis Skies of Fire Imperial Aircraft WIP

Greetings!  Today I'm sharing progress on the imperial planes from the Wings of Fire Aeronautica Imperialis boxed set.  After some thought on what camouflage scheme I wanted for these planes, I settled on simple dark green stripes.

Aeronuatica Imperialis Skies of Fire Lightning Fighters WIP

The green camouflage was applied using a dry brushing technique with a large(ish) dry brush. I mean...not a terrain sized dry brush, but not a small one either.....ok...a medium sized dry brush :) After the stripes were applied, the planes were shaded all over using a roughly 50:50 mix of GW Agrax Earthshade and Matte Medium.

Aeronuatica Imperialis Skies of Fire Vendetta Assault Carriers WIP

Once that dried (I left them over night), I dry brushed the base color over the whole model, moving front to back mostly to lend the impression of these planes suffering extreme erosion flying through sand storms and what-not.

Aeronuatica Imperialis Skies of Fire Lightning Fighters WIP

The canopy glass was painted white using Proacryl Bold Titanium White and then shaded with a roughly 60:40 mix of a blue wash (Secret Weapon Miniatures) and matte medium.  The pics make things look more white than they really are.  It's a poor man's approach and doesn't give any of the realism that other folks out there achieve.  However, it's quick and simple and reads cockpit glass enough on the table top for my needs.

Aeronuatica Imperialis Skies of Fire Vendetta Assault Carriers WIP

These pictures were taken shortly after the wash was applied.  I'll go back in with a detail brush and tidy up where white and shading got on the canopy frames.  That will tone things down a bit too.  It looks a little like bad OSL in these pics. 

I don't think I mentioned this earlier; I'm using stunt stands for the painting so I don't have to worry about the gaming flight stands I just completed.  By mounting extra flight stems in standard 40mm bases (and anyone who collects these planes will have lots of extra flight stems...), you get a reasonably stable means of holding the model while painting.  They do occasionally pop off during vigorous dry brushing, so be warned. :)

So that's the Imperial side of the boxed set so far. These planes are ready for details and transfers now.  The T'au planes are similarly ready to move into the detailing phase.  Next week I'll hopefully have some more interesting photos of the set...very close to completion now with all the base colors done on the bodies.

Best of luck with your own projects.

Cheers and Happy Gaming!



No comments:

Post a Comment