Monday, March 16, 2020

Monster March 4 AT Warlord Titan - Crisis Averted

Adeptus Titanicus Legio Ignatum Warlord Titan WIP

Greetings.

For those who read my last Monster March 4 post, I mentioned goofing up on the leg armor which was intended to be painted opposite so that the hazard stripes would be on the outside panels of both legs. Instead, I painted both panels identically. Well after considering options and taking action I can report that we're back on the rails with correct panels as shown above.

Adeptus Titanicus Legio Ignatum Warlord Titan WIP
Ah.  Back to a clean panel ready for primer once again

In the end, the panel required a bath in Simple Green. I first tried repainting the panel but that quickly went awry.  I should have primed the old hazard stripes black for one thing.  I worried about too many paint layers, and decided to spray the red directly over the old stripes instead.  This approach revealed two glaring issues.  The lines/shape of the stripes were still (faintly) visible under the red due to the masking and my likely heavy handed layer of yellow.  And second, the red came out much brighter than it did over black primer coat making the panel look obviously different than all the other panels.  Both issues combined to force me to strip the panel and start over.

Adeptus Titanicus Legio Ignatum Warlord Titan WIP
Like nothing ever happened...
In the close up above, I brought the newly painted panel back up to the level of the rest of the armor currently and the results are plain.  The panel now matches the other panels with no sign at all that anything ever happened.  I lost a little over all time on the project, but not enough to set me back.  I'll complete on schedule.  And I also won't be looking at this one panel knowing it wasn't right, or that I took short cuts with it.

Later in the week I'll post up more overall progress on the titan. To date I have cleaned up the red over-spray on the metal skeleton (legs and torso) but that's about it. I'm beginning to remember how much time is needed for the weapons and how much you can spend on the torso with all the little details, highlighting, and what not.  It's going to be a push, but I believe I'll complete on target.

Check back later to find out.

Cheers and Happy Gaming! 

8 comments:

  1. I always have issues matching my previous work when I go back to change something probably due to the fact I dont keep a record of exactly what I did in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll say that has made a big change for me with my projects - thus the many recipe tabs above. In fact, you remind me that I have not yet started to capture my Legio Ignatum recipe yet...

      Delete
  2. I free-hand painted one of my Iron Snake Centurion's shoulder pads upside down once. UPSIDE. DOWN. I know your pain :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh...yep. that's gotta hurt...wait for part two of my leg saga, posting soon.

      Delete