Monday, June 17, 2019

WIP: Adeptus Titanicus Legio Tempestus Warhound Titans - Part 6

Getting back to the Warhounds, I began by touching up the decals and then started painting in details such as gears, armor trim, etc.  It is tempting to just work through one Warhound at at time now, but I'm trying to stick to batch painting these beasts, lest I finish one or two and abandon the others for another project or distraction of the moment.  I'm so close to a full painted Axiom maniple!

Turbo Canis and Facta Belli both were built with a magnetized waist so I started with the legs on those two titans.  Toes were painted with the "bottom" dark blue color from the camouflage pattern (Vallejo Air Deep Sky).  The trim is Vallejo Air Steel while the gears at the joints are Vallejo Brass.  Some GW Tin Bits was used one a couple hoses at the back of the legs and on the waist joint.

Legio Tempestus Warhound WIP for Adeptus Titanicus

The Legio heraldry and princepts individuality is coming out quite well on these Warhounds.  Turbo Canis is the pack leader for the Warhounds and its princepts has made sure this titan stands out.

Legio Tempestus Warhound WIP for Adeptus Titanicus

No shading has been done yet, nor highlights but the main colors are now set and all painted in.

Legio Tempestus Warhound WIP for Adeptus Titanicus

Facta Belli's legs are painted to the same level, and yet look different with its own individual heraldry. This titan sports more of the Legio camouflage pattern.

Legio Tempestus Warhound WIP for Adeptus Titanicus

The armored areas too small to effectively camouflage with the dazzle pattern have been painted in the dark blue to make clear that is the base Legio color.  This includes now only the toes, but the small armored sections just below the knees.

Legio Tempestus Warhound WIP for Adeptus Titanicus

I'm pleased with how the checkered decals have come out.  I did a small bit of hand painting to fill in the checkered pattern where the decals didn't quite fit. Choosing to cut the shapes out of a single A5 sheet of checkered pattern is a challenge, esp. for the small intricate shapes, such as around the eagle and scroll design on the right leg armor. I went with a quicker "best fit" approach knowing I could touch up a few squares here and there without disrupting the orderliness of the overall pattern.

Legio Tempestus Warhound WIP for Adeptus Titanicus

So that's two sets of legs base coated with two more to go.  These models have so much detail for their scale.  They are a pleasure to paint and it's pretty easy to get good results if you just plug along like this, one step at a time.  One could easily get overwhelmed, but my approach is to put aside the future and thinking about how much work there is.  I just focus on what's next, sticking to a simple formula of Base, Shade, Highlight, moving along area by area.  Breaking down big projects into small areas like this makes it more manageable for me.

I hope that by posting up all these stages others out there can benefit as well. I find that when looking at finished pictures, it is hard to imagine how a painter got there.  In these WIP posts, I seek to illuminate my own process for how I get to the final product. Pro painters do this stuff all the time, but it's daunting to the more casual hobbyist.

Check back for more progress later in the week.

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment