Thursday, November 30, 2017

WIP: Adeptus Custodes II

Adeptus Custodes WIP

I was able to get another session in on the Adeptus Custodes to share before closing out the month of November. Most everything but the swords and some banner details are done now. I love how the bare head came out.  A mix of GW Kislev Flesh, Agrax Earthshade and Carroburg Crimson washes was used primarily.  Agrax was layered over Kislev flesh, which was then highlighted with Kislev flesh and washed again with Agrax.  Carroburg Crimson was reserved primarily for the mouth and ears. Some Druchii Violet shade snuck in on one of the layers for the sunken cheeks and eyes. I also put some Carroburg Crimson around the service studs on the forehead.

The eyes themselves were a light gray washed with a careful spot of Nuln Oil, my new technique until I can satisfactorily deal with eyes having a cornea and pupils!  I favor the look on the table vs. my sketchier attempts at painting in eyes.  This method does not spoil the severity of the expression of these heroes on the table at all and really only looks odd when viewed directly and close-up, as shown below in this straight on close up. 

Adeptus Custodes WIP Close-up Front

The sword hilts got some black on their casing with a light grey highlight and the triggers were painted with Vallejo Steel and washed with Nuln Oil.  Parts of the bolters were then given a final highlight of Vallejo Silver. 

Then the one cape got some love.  I really got a kick out of painting it, as simple as it is. I may come back in with some additional highlights, but I'm content with how it stands here.  A simple GW Mephiston Red base coat was shaded with Agrax Earthshade and highlighted with Evil Suns Scarlet.  A thinned down Mephiston Red was used to soften transitions between highlights and shadows.  The braid and sigil was painted with P3 Menoth White Highlight, shaded with Agrax Earthshade and then highlighted with thinned down Menoth White Highlight again.

Adeptus Custodes WIP Close-up Back

Shields were then attached to all but one of the models.  The final model would have its sword partially obscured if the shield were attached and I wanted to leave myself as much freedom as possible when detailing the sword blades.  After attempting a new power weapon effect on the Grey Knight Grand Master's Nemesis Great Sword, I am once again embarking on a new technique and will follow the guide provided by Duncan in his Custodian Guard painting tutorial (cited in my prior post).   Primarily, this will mean attempting to draw on convincing arcs of energy once again.

Here are the models as they stand at the end of this latest session...


The banner scrolls finally got a coat of P3 Menoth White Base followed by a wash of Agrax Earthshade and a highlight of P3 Menoth White Highlight. To my great embarrassment, I realized while painting the scrolls that I had assembled the banner backwards so that the bearer appeared to be holding it reversed in his hand.  After great curses that would make a sailor blush, I cut the banner from the poll, drilled it and the poll for a pin, and pinned it back onto the poll with super glue, now facing the correct direction!  Some GW Doombull Brown quickly concealed the new joint and one might never know the gaff ever occurred.  Whew!

So, one last session on these guys will complete the swords, put some scripture on the banner scrolls, and tidy up and other last details I can make excuse for. Then I have only to paint the bases and attach the models before calling it done on this squad. These Custodian Guard models are really striking on their own, but this GW stock color scheme really makes them shine...literally!  I was thinking that I need to bring in some silver on the wings of the shield so its not some much a single slab of gold with silver highlights. Though even as is they look great.

I can't wait to get them finished for their final photo shoot in the light box.

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment