Thursday, November 16, 2017

On the Workbench [November] - Custodian Guard

Coming off the Grey Knight Librarian, I decided it was time to bring the Adeptus Custodes back out and get them done.  They first appeared on the blog back in April 2017 here and here at the same time I was finishing my Munitorum containers. Shortly after, they went into the case to await more time and attention while I built Sector Mechanicus scenery and worked on other projects. I had put them up after completing a base coat of gold, a wash of Reikland Fleshshade, and an initial Vallejo gold highlight.

Adeptus Custodes WIP First Highlights

This week I put in two sessions on the squad, painting three more layers of highlights to complete the armor. I laid down more Vallejo Gold, followed by Vallejo Old Gold and finished with a final highlight of Vallejo Silver. At this stage I also determined that some of the scroll work and other details on the armor would get picked out in silver as well for interest. I wanted the armor to appear ornate and not just gilded.

Adeptus Custodes WIP Partial Final Highlights
WIP - In progress; three models on the left have all highlights

Adeptus Custodes WIP Final Highlights

Late during the second session, I cleaned up the swords and other areas requiring a black base coat.  Then put a splash of red on the plumes followed by a Reikland Fleshshade wash to bring out the details of the sculpt. Now they start to come alive and register as Custodes...

Adeptus Custodes WIP Details Begin

I'm expecting another session this week to crack on with the remaining base colors and then on to the details if possible. I was reminded this week of how much more challenging and time consuming it can be to batch paint five models rather than lavishing care on a single character per session. Further, the Custodes mandate that each and every model be treated as a character as befits their station - so really I'm painting five characters at a go here. And I haven't even moved on painting the custom bases yet...

WIP Custom Bases for Adeptus Custodes Unpainted

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment