I picked up a second set of containers for six in total along with the extra bits that come with. The first batch of drums and crates I made into based terrain pieces to act as battle field debris or objectives. As I write this, it occurs to me that I never posted that small, satisfying, project. Look for something soon on that.
I'm not sure what I'll do with this second batch. Perhaps I will add a couple more based pieces, or perhaps I'll make a themed stand-alone terrain piece with a container or two. I haven't decided fully whether to leave the containers and "free pieces", or combine them with existing building pieces. As free pieces they could be arranging in infinite ways for various battles. Built into fixed terrain pieces they would add character and theme in a more static arrangement.
This is all largely a theoretical exercise, as I'm unlikely to play many games with them regardless of how I paint them up for use! I think I like the process of modelling and painting terrain pieces over leaving them as free models on their own. I'll probably experiment a bit to see what works with the buildings I've already assembled.
The new set primed (except for the storm bolters). As I did with the first set, I plan to paint one container so it can be open showing the interior detail. Below is a shot with the first set of containers, also primed. The doors on one are closed bit fun-tak putty so the exterior can be sprayed without effecting the painted interior.
Expect follow on articles as I finally put paint to the containers. I'm been delaying for some time now due to indecision on the best paint scheme. I originally wanted to paint these with a Dark Angels theme. But I think in the end I'll settle for something with contrast to the rest of my terrain project (heavily gray, dirty, and dusty) and generic enough to fit in with any battle field conflict. I want to avoid the base munitorum army green I have used for much of the rest of my bunker-based terrain. I'm guessing a mars Mechanicm red will be the final choice, but there is still time left to change my mind on this!
In addition to terrain, I primed the Deathwatch Corvus Blackstar while I had the airbrush filled with Vallejo Surface Primer Black (73.602). Great primer for the airbrush, I must say!
So that's what's on the work bench for March. I hope to present an "on the Workbench" article each month, projects permitting. Stay tuned for more.
Cheers and Happy Gaming!