Monday, November 11, 2013

Baneblade Update: The Crew

Death Korps of Krieg Baneblade Crew WIP

Greetings!

After another painting session, the Commissar and gunner are complete...well...complete enough.  I have a hard time stopping, especially with characters or key figures. We can't let perfect be the enemy of great, though, so it is important to have a exit strategy so you can call it quits.

Since I had the crew magnetized already, I made a prop to paint them on so I wouldn't have to hold the models in my fingers.  With no bases, I would have definitely been wearing paint off and destroying my hard work! I used a wine bottle cork with a magnet in the end to hold the models steady.  I used reasonably small magnets so the models wobbled a bit, which wasn't ideal.  Overall, they stayed steady enough as you can see by the detail work.  This is a great way to paint a model without a base. Some even glue their main models to corks like this until they are done.

Death Korps of Krieg Baneblade Commisar

Looking at the picture now, I see that I do have some additional highlighting and detail work to do on the Commissar.  This Forgeworld model has excellent detail that demands respect and proper focus. I won't let it down.

Here is a close up of the crew magnetized into their ride. Just the right level of contrast that I was looking for.  Nothing that stands out like a circus clown, but enough pop to distinguish crew from armored hull.


And a final pull back for the whole work in progress...

Death Korps of Krieg Baneblade WIP Front

Time to name this beast and get on with the final details and decals so I can do some minimal weathering for effect.  I prefer to paint my 40K vehicles as they might be seen on the parade ground or aboard ship in transit between theaters of war - all repaired and refitted. Heavy weathering looks great for a diorama or particular set piece, but I find it distracting when you put the vehicle onto a table that doesn't match the vehicle's weathered effects.  So I'll wear the hull out a bit and dirty her where it counts, but I don't plan mud effects or any other heavy weathering or damage.

As always, thanks for reading.

Happy Gaming! 

No comments:

Post a Comment