|Photo/Drawing/Logo by Todd @ Sincain40k|
Clicking through to get a larger view of the picture above, you should see some of the detail in the head. The head and sarcophagus are all assembled now. Detail in the armor underneath is now lost from view, but no worries. I know it's there! I got a little carried away painting trim and other details. Hopefully this doesn't overly complicate all the fun edge highlighting to come on the black.
A close up from the front. Lots of detail work. I plan to put a Dark Angels logo decal on the left leg. Perhaps a little non-standard for Deathwatch, but the right shoulder I chose was not going allow me enough latitude to honor this veteran's chapter of origin. I randomly chose a watch company which I'll now have to replicate across my new Deathwatch members as they get painted. I thought the diagonal stripe worked well here. My attempt to pen "ZAEL" on the sarcophagus scroll came out more like "ZAR"...not sure if I'll keep it as is or try, try again. I need better skills with free hand text, especially at such small scale...
Only some basic work on the back of the dreadnought. Again, got a bit excited about scrolls, purity seals and oath papers when I probably should have been edge highlighting. :)
I had a lot of fun with the left arm, especially the litany scroll and the beginnings of the flamer. Had to just let inspiration run ragged here in place of discipline. I guess it is one reason I like painting in sub-assemblies. It was easy to go to town on this arm without affecting all the black and doing many retouches, etc.. I am hoping it all looks right together after assembly in terms of shading, intensity, and color matching. One good reason to get all the details on various parts done at once I guess.
So that's where I stand on this project as week one closes. I won't get time this weekend, so I'll see where I can get one or two nights next week. Best of luck to all the other Dreadtober participants out there.
Cheers and Happy Gaming!