Monday, October 7, 2019

DreadTober 2019 - Week 1 Progress


With week one of DreadTober behind me, it's time to reveal my progress so far. Following the build (see prior workbench post), the model was primed black using Vallejo Surface Primer with an Iwata Eclipse airbrush.


Easy enough.  Next I tackled blocking in the various base colors.  Vallejo Oily Steel was used on the armor trim and exhausts.  GW White Scar and GW Mephiston Red were used on the various bits of livery. Mephiston Red was also painted on the eye lenses.


I am departing with the Forge World paint scheme to maintain the legion symbol as displayed on my other units.  I feel Forge World went a little 40k with the color scheme, at least in terms of the brighter, flashier color choices (while legion wings with a red sword, for example). However, I did like the knee pad livery so I'm keeping that as is.


The back of a dreadnought can be so boring...;P


With the layered armor plates on the right shoulder, I guess I'll skip any livery there.  Keen eye'd readers will note I swapped the shoulders from how Forge World displays them in their sample to match what I feel is canon for the first legion; Legion crest on the left shoulder and not the right.


GW Nuln Oil was then used to shade all the trim.  Thinned GW Drakenhoff Nightshade was used on the white. P3 Menoth White Highlight was used to base coat the candles.  Then a couple coats of thinned GW Gryphonne Sepia was used as a glaze.


The eye lenses were highlighted with GW Wild Rider Red.  I used Nuln oil as a glaze while shading the trim on the head. Some Nuln oil was then dropped into the cups of the candles as well.


I base coated the plasma coils with GW Sotek Green as a break from the other work.  Then I used Vallejo Air Steel to paint all the metal skeleton bits on the legs.


Vallejo Old Gold was used on the brass gears.  This is shaded with GW Agrax Earthshade.


I finished off the head by tidying things up and highlighting the armor trim with Vallejo Air Steel.  The it was epoxied in place.


Looking fierce! Well, okay...stern and face-punchy anyway...


Any than brought me to the end of week one.  The dreadnought is assembled, primed, and much of the base colors blocked in and even shaded in spots.   I have put in very little work on the arms to this point, choosing to focus on the body first off.  This is partly due to my plan to assemble and batch paint two others dreadnought arms along with those pictured here.  I want the arms to have some visual continuity and painting them together helps immensely with that.

I've enjoyed watching the progress from the other challengers.  Looks like we're off to a great start in 2019.

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

8 comments: