Thursday, June 14, 2018

WIP: Armiger Warglaives from House Taranis - Part 8

Continuing work on the second Armiger Warglaive.  I went ahead and applied some Vallejo Gloss Varnish on the armor plates and red portions of the chain sword using an airbrush.

Imperial Knight Armiger Warglaive WIP Gloss varnish
Gloss Varnish applied

This was preparation for shading the armor with GW Nuln Oil.  I must say I was not impressed with the results.  Perhaps it is due to some quality of the Vallejo varnish.  Perhaps I didn't have the first idea what I was doing.  Regardless, I still got a lot of staining and ended up with much the same rework as before, in terms of cleaning up the over-stained armor. Here's where things stood.  I have wiped much of the extra Nuln oil off the white shoulder armor, but you can still see the staining around the edges and it is visible on the shin armor.

Imperial Knight Armiger Warglaive WIP shading over gloss varnish
GW Nuln Oil applied as a wash
I'll see how things turn out in the end.  Perhaps, especially for the red, the overall effect will be better in the end.  As it stands, I don't see that the gloss varnish did anything but add an extra step. The Nuln Oil went over the base paint on the first Armiger just as well, and colored the recesses just as well in my opinion.  And I has an equal amount of fix-up work to clean up the staining where I didn't want it.

I'm going to practice the approach on some spare bitz using GW 'ard coat and possibly other varnish choices in my collection to see if I can achieve more meaningful results. Washing/shading is an important technique and I'd like to refine my skills there. But for now, moving on...

Imperial Knight Armiger Warglaive WIP Flat varnish applied.

The Model Masters Lusterless Flat lacquer did its usual best and now I'm ready to continue painting. After a quick dry brush Vallejo Steel on the legs, the armor panels were glued on.  The shoulders are only held on with poster tack at this point since they obstruct the arms from being added/removed. While the glue was drying, I took to the face and began adding more bronze details.

Imperial Knight Armiger Warglaive WIP

Imperial Knight Armiger Warglaive WIP

Imperial Knight Armiger Warglaive WIP

Now things are looking pretty good on the base.  Not a lot of progress this session, but the Warglaive is still coming into its own.

Imperial Knight Armiger Warglaive WIP

Here's a parting shot with its twin.

Imperial Knight Armiger Warglaive WIP group shot

A good start to my Taranis Household.  I'm pondering on which knight to build next.  I'd like to work on a Gallant given where the rules are at.  But I also have a Warden and a Crusader to build. As I don't have a warlord at this point, I'm tempted to build the Crusader, which I had planned to use for my warlord since it has all the least until I pick up a Castellan. Oh...and then there are the two Helverin.  I'd like to take a break form Armigers for now though.

I hope you have enjoyed my posts on the Armigers so far.  Coming up, I have something new for the Deathwatch on the work bench for June.

Cheers and Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment