Following on heals of the Custodes squad I recently completed, I decided to keep on and get the accompanying dreadnought done as well. He too had been waiting in the wings with his gold armor already done with first highlights. My family is travelling for the holidays soon so this will be the last project before I take a break from hobby for what little remains of 2017.
I really like the model, even though it is just the simple plastic version and not one of the more refined Forge World contemptors. I suppose this comes from spending 20 years or so with the standard boxy space marine dread. These contemptors just seem so much more capable and menacing. :) I have three more of these based black for my Horus Heresy 1st Legion project as well.
I started the session in good order. The base had some color blocked in and a 1st wash of GW Agrax Earthshade from my prior work on the custodes squad. The dread and a weapon swap were ready for more paint. I have been using Vallejo Brass, Gold and Old gold for the Custodes. Not really sure where I left off with the highlights, I decided to go over the whole thing again with a pass of highlights using Vallejo Old Gold, the lightest of the three. This color was applied as an edge highlight to all of the sharp edges, grills and other raised detail.
I called it quits on the armor at this point and laid down some Vallejo Gunmetal on the weapons, exhaust stacks, and join gears at the rear of the armored legs and arms. I also put in a few highlights with the gun metal at points where I wanted some steel to show instead of the gold. The gold itself will be highlighted with silver at a later point. Most of the bolt heads got a spot of the Gunmetal as well.
All of the scrolls and purity seals then got a coat of P3 Menoth White. This was then washed with GW Agrax Earthshade while the gunmetal got a wash of GW Nuln Oil. While waiting for things to dry, I put some P3 Menoth White Highlight on the eye lenses (just a horizontal swipe, not filling in the whole lens). On top of this I painted GW Spiritstone Red.
The base got a mix of P3 Menoth White dry brushed on the brown and a Vallejo Gray drybrushed on the grey stones. This was washed again with GW Agrax Earthshade. Then a second, lighter, pass of the same highlights to brighten things back up a bit. Last, a pass of GW Abaddon Black around of rim of the plastic base finished things off.
By the end of the session, I had just enough time to pull the dread form the cork and super glue it to the base using the same pin through a pre-drilled hole in the base (visible in the shots above prior to basing). Now he is standing proud, and almost ready to rid the Galaxy of the many enemies of Man. I hope to put in another session, or perhaps two, before I must be forced to put the brushes down for the remainder of the year.
In 2018 I'll get back to a mix of Grey Knights and Deathwatch as I continue progress there...and of course there will be some Dark Angels progress! I am quite excited to see the updated codex and I am ready to embrace what looks to be many new additions to the Dark Angels. Most notably, I will definitely model my small collection of Primaris marines in Dark Angels armor. I had been waiting for official sanction from a codex and the lore before committing to a chapter for them.
Best of luck for your own projects this month.
Cheers and Happy Gaming!